Bed Siderail Storage Shelves
Here's an easy way to add more storage to a bedroom, without taking up any space. Instead of bed siderails, build your own storage shelves.
These storage shelves simply attach to the headboard and footboard. At 12" tall and 15-1/4" deep, there's plenty or room for baskets and bins.
Materials and Tools
- Headboard and Footboard
- 2 - Shelf Help towers with Height = Mattress height, Width = 13-1/2", Shelves = 4, Bay = 0, Depth = 15-1/4"
- 2 - 1x2s in length of the mattress
- 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips for the mattress slats
- 1x4 or similar for center support legs
- Drill and 2" screws, or Pocket Hole Jig and 1-1/4" screws
- 18 guage Brad Nailer or stapler and 3/4" fasteners
- Circular saw for cutting slats and back plywood and slat system
This template is just for the storage shelves. You'll need to add a headboard or footboard. Here's a link to our free Farmhouse Bed plans.
You'll want to order this as a vertical configuration, and then rotate it on install, so that the top and bottoms are continuous. Here's the configuration as shown for a
full or twin size. For a queen size, simply set overall height to 80".